Monday 16 May 2016

Technically Capabilities

For my music video, I want it to be the most ambitious project I have ever attempted, to date. I will be trying something new (for me) and exciting in both a practical (In camera) and a composited aspect. 

Practical (In Camera)
I want to recreate a dramatic scene in one of my favourite music videos. Summertime Sadness, by Lana Del Rey. In the scene, we see Lana Del Rey in an almost 'purgatory' atmosphere, where she seem to be completely surrounded by and immersed in, fog. I love the look and feel of this scene and think it will fit in perfectly in my music video. I found behind the scenes images of how it was done, besides the fog machine and lighting, what really sells the effect is the white backdrop she's standing in front of. This helps sells the 'infinite space of fog' effect. This is because it matches the colour of the fog, without it the space behind her would just be black, and you'll see that in the gaps in the fog coverage.

So for this scene I will get my actress to stand in front of the white wall in my living room and completely surround her in fog from a fog machine I bought for the music video. And hopefully I should be able to sell the effect! My only worry is that the fog machine won't work or won't produce enough fog to sell the effect. If it doesn't I'll have to layer more fog over it in post production.

Composited
I want to visually create an understated scene of a house in the distance on a dark night, with fire blazing out of one of the windows. Obviously, for financial, health and safety reasons, I can't burn a house down to the ground. So for this effect I'm going to film my rank of houses one night from a distance, and add fire effects on top of it in post. I have already purchased the fire effect files and the licensing to use them (On sale for £10).

For the scene in crop into the video a bit, then using keyframing, make the scene slowly pan from the right to the left, while to window is on fire. My only worry is that it won't look real enough! So I've watched many many tutorial videos on how to sell the effect and will do everything I can to nail it. By adding little bits of detail, like darkening the walls and window frame around the fire, and shattering glass, and thick black smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors