Friday 20 May 2016

How Have I Done Cinematically?

When I embarked on this momentous undertaking, I had three music videos that I used as my primary sources of inspiration. That being:

Marry the Night by Lady GaGa for its slow paced storyline and cinematic wide pans and use of fire.

Then there was Alright by Kendrick Lamar for its incorporation of black and white video, politically charged lyrics and death-defying stunts all in one masterpiece of a music video. 

And lastly, Let It Go by James Bay for its somber pans and focus pulls, toppled with the understated fact that everything around him was burning to the ground, making for a timeless work of art.


I tried very hard to emulate each of the best aspects of these music videos and I'm quite happy with the results. My pacing wasn't quite as quick as Lady GaGa's but thats because I wasn't able to make it as long as I wanted it to be, so I had to speed things up a lot. 

And although I didn't go for a black and white video like Kendrick Lamar's, it was still monochrome which gave it a similar feel. So I was happy with it as it did it's job and adding dark moods to the music video.

I was able to incorporate some somber, slow tracking shots (like the burning picture frame) just like in James Bay's music video which I really really liked and thought it added a lot of cinematic quality to it and some overall great visuals.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors