Thursday 4 December 2014

Focus Groups



Today we did a practical exercise on focus groups. One of the more enjoyable lessons so far, as we actually got to eat Sainsbury's Taste The Difference cookies and review them as a group. 




This interview was recorded and is available to listen to in the player above. We were given a sheet of paper with six bullet points to discuss about the cookies; 
First Impressions
Smell
Texture
Taste
Visual Impression
Quality

Having these short bullet points made it easier for us to talk in length about the cookies. As opposed to questions which would of stifled the conversation as we would not feel compelled to elaborate on them.

Positives of Focus Groups
You get the response quickly
It's more detailed
It's a more accurate opinion
More honest

Negatives of Focus Groups
Opinions can be influenced by others in the group
Can be time consuming
Questions aren't always answered
Can be difficult to understand the interviewees


Now we have been tasked to conduct our own focus groups. The focus of our focus groups (pun intended) are going to be our posters. Here's mine:

The points I'm going to focus on are going to be:
First Impressions
Impact
Colour Scheme
Appropriateness
Layout
Aesthetic/Visual Appeal
Success

Here is the question form that we used:
And these are the results: 
(Click on image to enlarge)

And here is the recording of the focus group:
The focus group was very awkward at first, but in the end we really opened up to the group, and they opened up to us to and became more relaxed. 

What was the activity I've just done?
We conducted a focus group where we asked some students to discuss a collection of poster designs.

What was was my ability when I started?
Before I started I had a very basic knowledge of focus groups and was very nervous too. To be honestly I didn't really know what to do, nor what to expect.

What skills have I developed? Personal/Technical
After doing this project, I would say I’m a little bit better at conducting focus groups. Now I actually know what to do, how to talk to those in the group and ask the questions that get the needed answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors